Before choosing filter end cap potting compounds, it’s important to consider the following:
- Adhesion strength
- Application method needed
However, price is another critical factor not to be overlooked.
Typically, epoxy-based or two-component adhesives are used. While they offer significant strength, these products are often over-engineered for potting applications.
Additionally, epoxies and two-component adhesives for potting compounds:
- Require a great deal of process time
- Often need specialized equipment
- Offer a level of strength not needed for filters
- Are not recyclable/cannot be reused
- Are a costly option
This causes companies to spend unnecessary time and money on production.
Polyolefins: The Smarter Option
To address these issues, Bostik has developed polyolefin adhesives as an alternative. These adhesives are:
- Lower cost
- More process-friendly
- Fully recyclable when applied to polypropylene/polyethylene-based substrates
- Have no environmental issues
- Have significantly faster set time
- Commonly certified for indirect food contact
As a result, switching from epoxies and two-component adhesives to polyolefins for potting compounds can significantly improve companies’ operational efficiencies, saving them both time and money.
For information on our specific polyolefin adhesives for potting compounds and how they can help your needs, call 800-7-BOSTIK today.