As cited in Dairy Foods, rigid packaging is the staple for dairy container applications. However, the types of packaging on the shelves today have greatly evolved from where they were even just a few years ago. Let’s take a closer look at the ways the rigid packaging has changed and the adhesives that can keep up:
Recent Rigid Packaging Changes to Dairy Containers
In response to consumer demands, rigid packaging for dairy containers have made the following changes:
- More containers have a clear, see-through design for added product visibility.
- There is now an increase in single serving size packages in response to consumers’ on-the-go lifestyles.
Rigid packaging for dairy containers also have responded to pressures to be environmentally friendly. These changes include:
- New packaging that allows its contents to have a longer shelf life.
- For example, certain changes include adding barrier coatings to PET bottles to help lengthen the product’s shelf life without needing preservatives.
- Using more renewable materials in rigid packaging’s manufacturing.
- For example, some PET rigid packaging manufacturers will likely transition to using plant-based feed stocks for dairy products as opposed to petroleum-derived feed stocks. This is in an effort to reduce rigid packaging’s environmental footprint.
The Adhesives That Can Keep Up
Adhesives are important component in manufacturing finished rigid packaging dairy containers, especially container labeling. Adhesives used in container labeling, especially for dairy applications, must:
- Prevent contamination from adhesive to product
- Maintain bond throughout temperature ranges
- Perform well when exposed to condensation
- Be able to bond to a range of packaging substrates
Bostik manufactures smart adhesives that are able to meet the requirements for rigid packaging dairy containers. Additionally, our company’s expertise enables us to tailor adhesive products to customers’ specific needs. For more information, call 800-7-BOSTIK, or visit www.bostik.com/us.