As cited in ASI Magazine, active and intelligent packaging has been predicted to expand to $3.5 billion by this year. Take a look at this latest packaging trend and why it deserves smart adhesives.
What is Smart Packaging?
Smart packaging, which provides enhanced packaging functionality using electronics, encompasses two sub-segments:
- Active packaging: features such as moisture control
- Intelligent packaging: features that indicate status or communicate product changes
Food, beverage and medical packaging are the top segments currently using active and intelligent packaging.
Active packaging in particular is seeing growth due to:
- Demand for self-venting packaging
- Need for antimicrobial packaging
For intelligent packaging, gains have been predicted due to:
- Growing product protection and food safety requirements
- Demand for time-temperature indicator labels
What are Specific Examples?
Some examples of current smart packaging would include:
- Talking pizza boxes
- Aerosol cans that emit electrically charged insecticide
- Medication bottles that record how much has been taken and when
While still relatively in the beginning stages, it is set to continue to perform well. As consumer lifestyles and preferences change, people look for packaging that is safe and more in line with their needs and expectations. Smart packaging is able to address these concerns.
Smart Adhesives for Smart Packaging
As smart packaging revolutionizes the packaging industry, manufacturers need adhesives that can keep up. Bostik formulates adhesives that are:
Additionally, our products are versatile and possess the capability to withstand a range of application demands and stringent requirements. We also can formulate custom adhesives to meet customers’ specific needs and work with them every along the way to ensure satisfaction.
As the packaging market continues to evolve, it’s important to use products that evolve alongside it. For more information on how our adhesives are smart, call 800-7-BOSTIK.