The no-label look is a popular, new way personal care, household product and beverage companies are marketing their products, cited Package Printing Magazine. In addition to a sleek, fresh look, using these kinds of labels offer companies the following benefits:
- Improved marking flexibility and space efficiency
- Ability to change product information easily
Here’s what you need to know if you’re considering the no-label look for your fast-moving consumer goods products:
How is the No-Label Look Applied to Products?
The no-label look is a clear film applied with pressure sensitive adhesives (PSAs). PSAs form a bond when pressure is applied; no solvent, water or heat is needed to activate the adhesive. While Package Printing Magazine states that currently these labels do have marginal cost difference, the total applied cost of labeling has delivered increased production capacity at end-user locations.
Considerations When Opting for the No-Label Look:
- Materials to use: Polyester and polypropylene are two good options for giving the no-label look. The objective of the substrate selection is to match it with the container so that the eye is unable to see the outline of the label.
- Film Gauge: If the carrier film is too thick, the label can be seen from the sides of the bottle.
- Release liner: A polyester release liner is a better option than paper release liners when attempting to achieve the no label look. This is because polyester is smoother during the release process.
What’s to Come:
The no-label look appears to be here to stay. Package Printing Magazine predicts that the coating technologies will continue to expand to using brushed materials, soft translucent and frosty looks. Furthermore, it cited that the beverage industry has the greatest growth potential in using the no-label look.
Bostik’s No-Label Look Product:
Bostik offers H20129, a styrenic block copolymer based formulation for film labels that can be used with or without a primer. It has excellent wet out and film dimensional stability. Clear in color, the product has good die-cut and repositionability characteristics. It has a wide range of uses, including personal care, household products and beverages.
For more information, visit www.bostik.com/us, or call 800-7-BOSTIK.